Monday, July 21, 2008

Sewing 101


Wendy Mullin, who founded Built by Wendy in 1991, is known for her wonderfully cute clothes, which include sundresses with pretty lattice cut outs, printed blazers, sweet blouses with peter pan collars. But its her Sew U series of books that intrigues me most. As someone who loved fashion from a young age, I used to dream up and sketch outfits all the time. But I never learned to sew, which is such a useful skill for daily problems (fixing a button or tear) and for fun (sewing my own simple designs). Since Wendy has over 20 years of home sewing experience, I trust that the books will be knowledgeable and beneficial for beginners like me. The books cover the basics of sewing, pattern-making, clothing construction and design. In addition, I'll learn about different fabrics, supplies, and how to customize the clothes. With easy-to-follow instructions and a set of patterns included in the set, I'm hoping the Sew U series can give me a jump start on learning how to sew. Hey, who knows, maybe in ten years I'll have my own burgeoning line!

1 comment:

Adrienne said...

That is a REALLY good book. YOu will enjoy it!